Thursday, May 3, 2012

Secret Weapon

I love to cook and bake and be in the kitchen.  And I love even more when there are people to cook and bake for.  It brings me great joy to serve others in that way.  I'm not saying it's not enough to just cook for my husband...it's just the more the merrier, right!?
I've said before that living in the tropics in constant heat has brought some new challenges to the kitchen.  And I'm not gonna lie, there have definitely been days when the heat has robbed me of the joy of cooking, whether it's from lack of desire of cranking the stove up to 400 when our apartment is already sitting at 100 or from something falling apart completely because it couldn't stand up to the temperatures.  But I'm determined to get passed it.  It takes me a while to find my groove amidst my surroundings and as for the kitchen...I think I've got it down.  
I've introduced a new ingredient to my baking and I believe it's taken all of my goodies to the next level.  So what is it?  Sorghum Syrup.  I picked it up on our last family vacation in Tennessee and upon running out of maple syrup a few weeks back, I thought I'd give it a try.  And oh my!  I'm glad I did.  If I had to describe it, I'd say it's like a cross between molasses and maple syrup.  It definitely has that earthy flavor.  It's high in antioxidants, as well as potassium, iron, and protein.
It's shown up in many things I've made.  Like these Cinnamon Rolls (recipe coming soon)
And if you remember I used it in my Caramel Corn.  I've also used it on top of pancakes with almond butter, seriously - the possibilities are endless.
But what I'm here to talk about today is:
I've seen this recipe on the pages of one of my favorite bloggers before, Angela of Oh She Glows, but I always passed it by.  You see I've never really been a fan of Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, but Aqua Baby had another opinion, and so I decided to make them.  Of course...using my secret ingredient!  So here you go, I give you the best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.
 
 Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted 
2 cups regular oats, divided
3/4 cup kamut flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup 100% pure sorghum syrup
2 TBS. soy milk
3.5 TBS. coconut oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 cup raisins


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and place parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on a baking sheet.  Place 1 3/4 cup of walnuts on baking sheet and toast for 10-12 minutes, keeping a close eye on them, stirring often, careful not to burn them.  When walnuts are toasted, cool a few minutes then pulse in a food processor just long enough to finely grind them.  Next in a medium size bowl, stir together your flour, baking soda, 1 cup of oatmeal, cinnamon, and sugar.  Once it's all well combined add it to your food processor with the walnuts.  Pulse for just 20-30 seconds.  In another bowl, stir together your sorghum, milk, oil, and vanilla.  Add it to the food processor and pulse it until all is thoroughly combined.  Next fold in your other cup of oatmeal, along with the raisins.  Now you're ready to bake your cookies.  Take about 2 TBS. of dough and roll into a ball, flattening gently with your fingers to form a nice circle.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  No less, no longer.  Cool on cookie sheet for just a minute out of the oven and then place on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes.  Makes one dozen.

These cookies definitely made a believer out of me!  You can now consider me a fan!  They were so soft and chewy, with just the right amount of everything!  And now I'm thinking of other ways to adapt them...like adding chocolate chips, or white chocolate and cranberries...YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment