Friday, May 25, 2012

What's in a Name?

There's so much pressure in choosing a name for your child.  It's how they'll be known to the world forever, and I want to make sure we get it right.  Of course people will always have opinions and I'm sure he'll get made fun of at some point, but I think the name William Desmond Lars Nisly is one that is full of potential.  

So let's break it down:

William: (WIL-yem) meaning protector

Of course there have been great men and kings even, given the name William.  William the Conquerer, William Wallace, 13th Century Scottish hero, not to mention great literary works from men like William Shakespeare, poets William Blake and William Wordsworth, and my favorite painting comes from John William Waterhouse.

But both Jordan and I have also known great men who carry the name.  It's a family name for both of us.

First is my Papa.  I know he was named after a William, but he was the first for me to know.  We haven't always lived close, but I'm remember growing up how much I loved to visit my Nanny and Papa.  I think part of my love for cooking came from going to their house for the holidays!  No body makes dressing and sweet potato souffle like they did!  Oh and the fish fries!  One of my favorite times was in college we all met up in Alabama and camped out and went fishing.  At the end of our time there, we had a big feast and we all sat around the camp fire sharing laughter and stories.  Though he's quiet and reserved there has never been any doubt of his love for us.  He's always given so much to us and made us to feel special even through all of the distance.  
Then there's my Dad.  One of the greatest men I have ever known.  I learned what hard work and sacrifice were from him.  He has always kept our family first and done his very best to provide for us.  He is a great man of integrity and knows how to keep his word.  Last year he retired from his career in safety management with the Federal Penitentiary System, but still continues to give everything he has to his new job as a bus driver.  And He loves God and wants nothing more than to live for Him and make his life count.  
Both my Mom and Dad have always believed in me and encouraged me that I could do anything, but it's because of my Dad that I went farther in my running.  He had a funny way of teaching me I was capable of more than I thought, but I'm glad he pushed me, and I'm glad he ran my first half-marathon with me.  And I hope it's not the last.  He has definitely molded me into the strong woman I am.  
And lastly Aaron.  My oldest brother.  My brother's mean everything to me and after finding out Desmond was a boy...I kind of thought to myself what was I thinking wanting a girl first?  Every girl needs a big brother and I've been so blessed to have two!  We've always been close.  Of course there were the occasional spats, but the three of us get along so well.  We're really close in age and my brothers always let me be a part of things and helped me to fit in.  I don't think I could have gotten through high school and college without them.
Aaron is one of the most kind hearted and giving people I know and he would do anything for you.  He always gave the best gifts and knew how to make you feel special.  But one of the most special was my 15th birthday.  My birthday is in the summer and there was never a lot going on.  Especially on that day.  But Aaron made me dinner and fixed a table up outside for us to eat at and made it a memorable night.
And my wedding definitely couldn't have happened without all of his skills and hard work!  He is amazingly gifted at design and decorating!

For Jordan he too has a Grandpa named William.  He recently passed away, but I had the great honor of meeting him and Jordan's grandma on two occasions before we left for the Philippines.  He and his wife Edith were married for almost 75 years!  And when we were around them my heart lit up listening to them talk about their lives together and seeing the way they still cared for each other and looked at each other.  You could definitely sense how important family and community were to them.  Especially listening to them talk about their farming days and the work it took to bring in the harvest and the way one would go and help out their neighbor till the work was through.  Such love and generosity overflowed out of them.    

So being that this is the first grandchild to both of our parents, we found it to be fitting to carry on the name.  Although there will be another born not too long after him, as Jordan's sister is also expecting her first child.  Which is humerous, because his sister and husband were married in August of 2008 and we were married shortly after in October.  Now in 2012 we're both expecting!  It's exciting times in our families!

Desmond: (DEZ-mend) meaning one from S. Muenster

When discussing boy's names Desmond has always been Jordan's top pick.  To him it was a name that sounded unique and old-fashioned.  As well as being a name of someone who sounded like a leader, not just following the crowd.      

Lars: (Larz) meaning from the name Lawrence which means laurel-crowned, which means to wear the crown of victory

I have always loved the name Lars.  It was my addition to the bunch.  And though it may not be familiar to you here, it's popular in a few European countries.  It sounds so old-fashioned (we're in to that kind of thing) and romantic to me, which is why I love it.  

So there you have it.  His name.  What it means.  And why we chose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment