Friday, April 20, 2012

Snack Attack

Sometimes I want something, but I just can't figure out what it is.  Today I was in major need of a snack but nothing sounded good.  My sweet husband scoured the whole kitchen naming off everything I could possible eat trying to help my figure it out.  To each suggestion I shook my head no.  It just wasn't it.

At this point I turned to a greater resource of help; Pinterest.  Sometimes this plan backfires on me and I'm left hungrier than I was with no satisfaction in sight.  To which I close my browser in frustration pouting and sit with a growling stomach.

But today I saw it.  I saw the thing that sounded so good.  I quickly grabbed my computer and headed to the kitchen with a new found inspiration and high hopes.  At one point I ran to my room and back with such zeal and excitement, only to end up on the floor because my socks slid on our concrete.  Anyway...

That is how I came up with this.

recipe adapted from here.

What you need and how to make it:
Preheat oven to 250 and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.

popped bag of popcorn
1 cup peanuts (optional, and you can very the amount.  I just knew I wanted peanuts in every bite.)


Place popped popcorn in a large bowl and sprinkle with peanuts.  I didn't mix it, because I didn't want all of the peanuts to fall to the bottom.


1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 cup sorghum (molasses and maple syrup might be a good substitute if you don't have sorghum.)
1/4 cup butter, cubed (I used my homemade vegan butter)

Place brown sugar, sorghum, and chunks of butter into a 4 cup glass pyrex measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds.  Just enough time to heat it so it all mixes nicely together.  You'll want something large enough so it doesn't bowl over, and plastic just won't work.  


Stir it all up and then microwave for another two minutes.  Remove from microwave and stir again.  Now pop it back in one last time and microwave for 1 minute being careful not to burn it.

1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Now mix in the baking soda and vanilla, stirring quickly as it will begin to bubble and thicken up.  Pour over the popcorn and peanuts, and begin stirring to evenly coat everything as you pour.  The caramel will not thickly cover all of the popcorn, but I think it's just the right amount to give you the sweetness that you need.  


Once everything is stirred together, sift popcorn on your prepared baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes remove and stir around and then stick back in the oven for another 5 minutes.  And that's it.


Allow the mixture to cool for a minute or two, and then pour back into your large bowl.


You're now ready to share your sweet treat with some friends!


Enjoy the sweet taste of victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment