Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What do You do When You Miss Your Family?

You plan a big meal of course!  And with Easter just around the corner, the timing couldn't be more perfect!

I love the technology we have at our disposal now a days.  I skype my parents every week.  I text my brothers all the time.  Even calling can be made for next to nothing.  But it still doesn't change the fact that I can't just hop in the car and drive over to their house to see them.

And after texting my Brother Wess back and forth yesterday we both agreed we miss each other the most when we're cooking.

Food is a big deal at our house.  And Holidays even more so!  We dream of all of the things we're going to make.  And I usually tend to go a little over board.  But it brings so much pride and joy to each gathering knowing all of the hard work and love you put into every dish.

Yesterday I spent all afternoon and evening scanning over countless recipes just looking for the right meal to put together for Sunday.  I wanted it to be a meal that would be worthy of a family gathering and celebration of such a significant day!

So here's what I've come up with:
The Main Attraction : "Chicken" Seitan (recipe and photo found here)

a veganized version of my favorite salad : 7 Layer Salad (recipe and photo found here)
with : Roasted Garlic and Herb Smashed Potatoes w/ Gravy (recipe and photo found here)
 and : Roasted Cheezy Broccoli over Golden Quinoa (recipe and photo found here)
plus : Chili Almond Asparagus (recipe and photo found here)
And no meal is complete without bread : Yeast Rolls (recipe and photo found here)
And the best thing about any meal, dessert : Bunny Approved Carrot Cake (recipe and photo found here)


So for breakfast we'll have something simple since we're having such a big meal.  I'm planning on this Raspberry Jam Swirl Crumbcake.

All of the groceries are bought.  Now for some prep work.  I can't wait.  Just wish my brothers and my parents could be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment