Saturday, June 9, 2012

Foodie

In a recent conversation with Jordan and his Grandpa, he asked the usual of how I was doing and if everything was going well with the baby.  And then he wanted to know to the real question...is she craving anything or eating unusual foods?  To which Jordan replied, she already ate unusual foods.  They both had a good laugh about it and he said he knew Jordan was gonna say that!
I've always been a foodie.  I love to cook and bake.  Food just tastes better when it's homemade.  I wondered what my eating habits would be like during my pregnancy, but honestly I don't think there's been much change.  What was good to me before is still good.  And it's no secret I've always loved to experiment with new things and that has still held true.
And yes a normal dinner for me is pickles, olives, pepperoncinis, hummus and pita bread.  Unusual...maybe.

I've been a reader of food blogs for quite a while and I have some sites I love to scope out for new recipes, but Pinterest has made that all too easy.  There are so many tantalizing recipes just waiting to be made!  And make them I do.  And when I show you this next recipe, you'll see why!
OMV! (oh my vegan) My house smells so good!  These are just the right amount of sweetness for the morning and the bursts of strawberries in every bite is killer!  These are absolutely necessary to add to your summer baking!
Not to mention the fact that Desmond did a happy dance in my belly after I ate these.  He's quite the fan too!  But I can't claim all of the success of this delicious recipe.  It's adapted from Smitten Kitchen.  But my version is veganized.  So if you want the original head over there, though my changes are not that drastic.

strawberries and cream biscuits


ingredients:
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 TBS. baking powder
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
6 TBS. cold vegan butter
1 cup chopped very ripe strawberries
1 cup full-fat coconut milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
Then cut in your cold butter until little pebbles begin to form and your flour becomes crumbly.
Now stir in your strawberries.
And fold in the coconut milk, being sure not to over mix and over work your dough.
Flour a clean surface and place dough there, sprinkling a little more on top to make it easier to roll out.
Roll out to 3/4 of an inch, then using a biscuit cutter or glass, cut straight down into the dough without wiggling to cut your biscuits.  Gather the scrap dough to form remaining biscuits.
Place on your prepared baking sheet, and bake for about 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly, but I think their best eaten warm!

You could even add a dollop of your favorite ice-cream or whip topping for a lovely summer evening treat!  Seriously...do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment