Sunday, March 18, 2012

There's a Bun in the Oven! Two Actually!

Sorry to lure you to my blog that way...we're talking about bread today!

I absolutely love homemade breads!  And I'm so excited about what's in my kitchen right now!  I can hardly wait for morning to come!  It's like Christmas.  Ok maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration but I am super pumped!  A while back I made this Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bread.  Only there was one problem...I was loosely following two recipes and didn't write anything down.  It turned out to be my most favorite bread I had ever made!  I could have died!  Why didn't I write it down?  My mission today was to recreate that bread.  I think I did.  But I guess we'll never know.  Anyway here's the recipe.

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bread

4 semi-mashed bananas (i like some pieces in there)
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 stp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup peanut butter swirled in
1/2 dark chocolate chips folded in

Preheat oven to 350.

In a small bowl, slightly mash your bananas.  Then add the rest of the wet ingredients and stir together.

Next in a large bowl, mix together spelt and wheat flour, baking soda and salt.

Then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well.

The next step is according to your personal preference.  I like to swirl in the peanut butter, so it's ribboned throughout the bread, or if you'd like you can mix it in so it's more combined.

Lastly fold in the chocolate chips, and place in a lightly greased bread pan.  And bake for about 40-45 minutes.  Though mine took about 55.  Be sure to keep a steady watch on it.  

**********

Then I decided while I had the time and the kitchen was already messy, I'd make another.  Adapting a recipe I had found on Pinterest, and adding an additional layer to it.  Here's what I came up with:

Apple Cinnamon Swirl Bread w/ a Streusel Topping

For the Streusel (adapted from Peas and Thank You)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup unrefined sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 TBS. coconut oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

For the Apple Mixture (adapted from Dreena's Vegan Recipes)
1 small apple, peeled and cubed into small pieces
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup unsweetened cinnamon apple sauce
1/4 cup unrefined sugar
dash of cloves, nutmeg, and ginger

For the Batter
1 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 TBS. coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350.

First combine apple mixture.  Mixing apples in lemon juice, then adding the rest of the ingredients until well combined.  Set aside.

Next mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl, sifting in baking powder and soda. Mix well and set aside.

In a small bowl, mix all of the wet ingredients.

Then add wet mixture to dry mixture, stirring until well combined.

Place batter in a lightly greased bread pan.  Then using a spoon, scoop apple mixture on top and then slightly swirl throughout bread.

Finally crumble streusel on top. And bake for about 40-45 minutes.  Though mine took about 55.  Be sure to keep a steady watch on it.

**************
Jordan and the intern that is living with us, were quite curious as to what I was up to.  The smells drew them in, and they were both lickin their chops.  I don't know if I want to share my bread with them though.  Sorry boys, you don't come between a pregnant lady and her cravings!  
Just kidding...I'll let you each have one slice.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment