Monday, March 19, 2012

Health, Nutrition, & Pregnancy

Some honest talk about trying to remain healthy throughout pregnancy.  

I truly believe this statement.  Eating a mostly vegan diet was the best thing I ever did for myself!  And I'm going to continue to believe that even in my current condition, being pregnant, it's the best thing I can presently do.  I'm not gonna lie.  There have been days of struggle and days of feeling like I deserve to eat whatever I want, but I am sticking to my guns and holding on with everything I have to keeping a healthy, and happy pregnancy.  And don't worry...I've done my research,  me and the baby are gonna be a-ok being meat free.  

It's weird first finding out your pregnant.  Unlike some women, my first few weeks were not laden with constant trips to the bathroom getting sick.  No.  It was quite opposite for me.  I was hungry all of the time, and what was not good for me was what sounded oh so delicious.  I struggled with my weight for a few weeks, and got pretty depressed about my sudden weight gain.  No it was not the baby that was the size of a grape causing this stretching in my hips and thighs, it was me.  I needed to get control!

I feel like I'm at a good place now.  Yes my body is adjusting and changing for what's going to be taking place over the next few months, but my weight is good, and my clothes are still fitting.  (Most of them anyway.)  It's a mental battle, and I feel like it was really tough for me initially because of how hard I had worked to lose my excess weight and get in shape. But I feel ready now.  I feel like I can do this.   

And I love that I have a supportive husband who will go maternity clothes shopping with me, and help me find good wholesome restaurants to eat at.  Saturday we had a date day and ate lunch at one of my favorite places so far. 
It was a small quaint little place, with some great atmosphere.  Since it was hot outside and we had been walking around I decided to get the Lemongrass Ginger Cucumber Cooler with my water.
It had some zing to it.  But I loved the burst of ginger!
We glanced over the menu and I saw plenty of delicious choices, but there was one thing in particular that sounded right up my alley!
The squash risotto with toasted pumpkin seeds, vegan sausage, and cashew cheese nuggets.  I couldn't have been happier with my choice!  It was awesome, and Jordan was quite jealous.  He doesn't even like squash!
Jordan decided on the Garden Burger with carrot bacon and chili-garlic sauce.  With french fries on the side.
He enjoyed eating here just as much as I did, and we both agreed we couldn't wait to come back to try more things on the menu!  They even have a fantastic list of vegan desserts, which we will get next time.  We were just too full.  

I'll plan on keeping you posted on what I'm eating and craving along the way.  It's been a funny list so far.  Sometimes Jordan looks at me and replies, "Who are you!?  You really are pregnant!"  More of that in posts to follow.


1 comment:

  1. xoxox! Love you guys! This is so great and so exciting!

    ReplyDelete