Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We Live Here!

I had to tell you more from our weekend.  I'm still playing back images in my head, and looking through all of our pictures.  It was just unreal!
I absolutely love living in a big city, but it was amazing to get out and see what else these islands have to offer.  Earlier this weekend we headed over to meet up with Pastor Greg to get in a little scuba lesson, so we would be ready for our day trip.

Jordan and I got all suited up and were ready for our adventure in scuba to begin.  I was excited and nervous all at the same time.
There is definitely nothing flattering about scuba gear!  But it's totally worth looking silly to be completely mobile in the water.  I was also amazed at how much all of the equipment weighed.  And after I got it all on, it struck me.  Having all of this stuff on my back, and a weight built on was heavy, but I actually used to carry around that much extra weight, plus even another 60 pounds on top of that.  It was just crazy to me.  I don't know how I ever lived like that.  We passed our first day of instructions,  now it was time for some real fun!
The drive there was absolutely beautiful.  And we definitely saw some new aspects of the culture along the way.  As soon as we got to where we were staying, we got everything ready and headed out on the boat.
We found our spot and it was time to dive.
Jordan went out with the first group.  And I waited in the boat for everyone.
It was pretty relaxing to sit out on the water just taking in the views.  It seemed fitting to have a time of reflecting back on the year and praising God for all He had done for us, and to finally be here.
 Pretty soon, everyone surfaced and then it was my turn.
I was a little nervous, but I was determined to overcome a little anxiety.
Focused on making sure I made it out of the boat with all of my gear.  I told you there was nothing attractive about scuba diving.
As soon as we were in Jake and Micah found this sweet star fish.  I was too busy adjusting my googles, so I missed it.  But there was plenty of other cool things to see.  This is where we pause in the pictures, because I was underwater for a while checking out a reef and a cave.  I so wish I had an underwater camera to show you all that I saw.  It was pretty amazing!  I only freaked out for a second when I looked all around me and saw only water, and thought about how I was just breathing through a tube off of a tank, but I quickly regained my composure and focused on all that was around me.  Bright blue starfish, an eel, clown fish, purple and pink coral, the list goes on.  I just kept thinking to myself...I can't believe I'm actually doing this right now!
I was nothing but smiles!
The rest of our day was spent relaxing, reading, playing a rousing game of speed scrabble, and ended with some challenging conversations.  There are some exciting days ahead of us.
I think 2012 is off to a pretty great start!  It's gonna be a good year.

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment