Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Living is Easy

Following the entryway, you now step into the living room.  This is definitely the area where we spend most of our time.
My top priority was to make it cozy and inviting.  We've been so blessed and we want to be a blessing to others and use our place to make others feel welcome and safe.
As you can see we have a rather large mirror that takes up a whole wall.  Jordan loves to use it as a dry erase board.  Here he is planning out the last block of classes he's teaching.  You'll also notice a fan on the left.  Fans are a must here!  There is no running AC, so fans run constantly.
I was so excited to hang this cuckoo clock.  My Dad told me he had a clock for me that He and my Mom had purchased for my Great Granny and when she passed away it was returned to them to keep.   And as he opened it and showed it to me, it just seemed perfectly built for us.  I couldn't be more proud to have it in our home now.  My Great Granny was a stellar lady!
Hanging across this rocking chair we have an afghan we received from Jordan's Grandparents home.  I've had the pleasure of meeting them a few times.  Both in their late 90's they are still alive and reside in Iowa.  Whenever we were with them I noticed many things, but I think what stood out to me the most was their since of family, and the love they had for each other.  I could sit and listen to their stories all day!
Our wedding invitation and one of my favorite pictures of us framed.  Which hangs above one of my pieces from my Senior Art Show.  My Family Tree.
On of the things that made putting our house together so easy, was that I actually got to see it and stay in it when we came over to visit back in February.  One of our teammates was living in it then, but lucky for me as their family was expanding they were needing a different place and we now get to call it home.  I fell in love with it then and I love it even more now!
My wedding bouquet as well as birds from the top of our cake.  And some little "home" houses Jordan's Mom gave me that I loved when I saw them in her house.
A teacup from our wedding, and an old picture of Jordan's Dad's family.  A vase my Brother made in high school, and a bowl my favorite potter Dave Williams, my college professor, made and gave to us as a wedding present.  As well as an owl music box from Jordan's Grandparents home.
Old pictures of My Mom's family, covering another Dave Williams piece.  A butterfly gifted to me by my dear friend Amanda.  Shells and driftwood collected from our travels, and some antique finds.
On of my most treasured pieces of art from Salvation Mountain in Niland, California.  When I lived in California my friends introduced me to this place knowing I would love it.  And love it I did.  When Jordan and I traveled out to California on deputation, I visited a third time and had to show him the magic that was there.  Leonard is this nicest guy and he toured us around and gave us some memorabilia to take home.  And this little gem was one of them.
 Now it's into the dining room.
Still a mismatch of colors and things to fill the space.  I just love the little bows on the cushions.  There just one more thing before we get to my most used and favorite room of the house...
Our little coffee cart.
Jordan says I'm a coffee addict.  I blame that on the influence of several people in my life...namely my Mother! ;)  But whether you prefer it with sugar and cream, a little flavor, or just black...we have it all here!
Our magnet board.  We keep our weekly menu, and shopping list on here.
And all my aprons hung in a row!
So there you have it.  Our big room with multi-functional space.
Come over some time and I'll make you dinner, then will sit and swap stories over a cup o' joe!

You're always welcome!
Nikki





1 comment: