Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pumpkin Spice is so Very Nice & I've Used it Twice

I absolutely love Fall!  Last year we were getting ready to move here to the Philippines and by the time we got here at the end of October, Christmas had already been in full swing for months.  I felt like I missed an entire Season.  Maybe that's why I've been so anxious to bust out all of my orange and brown decorations, and start cooking with some pumpkin!  Jordan said I should at least hold off until September, but I just couldn't wait any longer.  I've been trying to get some meals prepared and ready so I have to do less cooking in our near future with the arrival of Desmond, but I couldn't help but deviate from my plan a little with that little can starring at me every time I opened the cupboard door.
It was time to make some delicious Fall treats.  And there were a few things I was craving...
I looked around on the web and compared a few recipes, ultimately settling on adapting this one.
Pumpkin Walnut Biscotti

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
3/4 cup raw sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Enger-G Egg Replacer Eggs
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Sift together flours, sugar, spices, baking powder and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix your "eggs" together.  Then add in your pumpkin puree, oil, and vanilla to "egg" mixture.  Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until everything is well combined.  You might even need to get your hands in there to mix all of the dough up.  Now pour in your walnuts, and mix evenly into dough.

Shape and flatten dough to about 10 inches by 5 inches and 1/2 inch thick rectangle.  Don't worry about perfection here. It will be pretty no matter what.  Place dough onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.  Then turn oven down to 325 and remove pan to slice your dough into biscotti pieces.  Once cut, turn on one side and bake for 10 minutes.  Then turn to other side and bake another 5-10 minutes.  This will "dry" it out a bit more and give you that nice biscotti crunch! Store in a glass container.
Coffees perfect match!

But as I said.  I had a few things I was craving.  Next up, these bad boys:
Aren't these doughnuts the cutest little things!?  I bought a doughnut pan last year and still had yet to use it.  I think these made for the perfect christening of my still new pan.  It was only right to bake these as they were the very doughnuts that led me to the purchase.  Angela at Oh She Glows never comes up with a bad recipe.  I have loved everything I've made of hers.
You can find the recipe on her blog here.  Be sure to browse around and check out more of her creations.  Seriously...you won't be disappointed.
And that's not the end to my Fall cooking.  I actually have another recipe for you, but I'll save it for another day.  Don't want to get too carried away, there's plenty of the Season to be enjoyed this year.  I only have to wait two more days until I can start decorating!  YAY!
What are some of your favorite Fall treats and eats?

4 comments:

  1. Are you sure you havenvt alreadty been decorating? Also what kind of donut pan do uhave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok ok you caught me...I do have a wreath and some leaves up...

      It's a Wilton Doughnut Pan. Here at Amazon:
      http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Nonstick-6-Cavity-Donut-Pan/dp/B004CYELOQ

      Delete
    2. totally unrelated.... how did you get the "reply" box for your comments? I can't get one on my blog!

      Delete
    3. I dunno. It was one of the things I didn't like about blogger, but then one day it was just there.

      Delete