Saturday, November 5, 2011

Dear Sweet Tooth,

Everyone knows the best way to ones heart, is through their tummy.  And while our team is all still trying to get to know each other and bond, I thought I would get them to love me early on by doing what I know best...baking cookies!
And boy did it work!  

I've been curious for a while now how grocery shopping and cooking would work here.  I'm so excited to try new things and incorporate them into my repertoire, but I'm also glad to know I can still make things I know.  And these cookies I know.  They've been a staple in our household for quite a long time, and they're my all time favorite sugar cookie recipe!  Now, they're not healthy...but remember I'm trying to get them all to love me first! =)  

*Though I actually did make two different kinds of cookies and the other one was healthy and probably loved almost equally as much.* 

But let's cover this recipe first:


Basic Sugar Cookies
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
In large bowl, beat sugar and butter until fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into sugar mixture.  Form into two lumps and wrap in wax paper and chill for 1 hour or overnight.  The longer it sits the better it is.  Preheat oven to 350.  Roll out dough to 1/4-1/8 inch thick.  Using cookie cutters, cut out various shapes.  Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheet.  Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly browned on bottom.  Cool on rack before frosting.

*I always double this recipe for parties and groups.  

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick butter
1 package cream cheese
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
Allow butter and cream cheese to soften to room temperature.  Place all three ingredients in mixing bowl, and beat with mixers until light and fluffy. 


Can't wait to share many more recipes with you!  This is only the start.  You should definitely make these cookies over the holiday season.  Your friends will love you....I promise!

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment