Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dear Record Holder,

This might have been the craziest race I've ever been a part of, but it was totally worth every minute of it!  I was pumped when I saw multiple billboards for races here in Manila, but I knew I had to be a part of this one.
Jessie and Cory (our teammates) had been running as well, so they agreed to sign up for the race with us.  The most exciting thing about this race is that it made it in the Guinness Book of World Records last year with over 116,000 runners.  

This was their first run ever!  And I told them they were rockstars in my book because we had to get up at 2 am to meet them by 3 to then commute to where the race was starting.  Only a crazy runner does something like that!  They've got it in their blood!
We were pumped when we got there.  
Jordan was excited to be there too!  
We were all lined up ready to go at 4am just like the paper had asked us to be.  Just another 45 minutes and we'd be well on our way.  
Don't mind my scary beady eyes.  
We wanted to make sure we weren't too close to the start because we didn't want to get trampled but we were still so far off.  
See the glowing square in the center...yeah that's the starting point.  So we waited and we waited.  And random cheers broke out every now and again.  By 6am the gun finally went off, and we waited and waited.  Finally walking across the starting line 20 minutes later.  
We tried to run as much as we could, but they predicted 150,000 people would be there this year!  Do you know what it's like to dodge in and out of 150,000 people!?  It was crazy!
We ran passed Manila Bay.
This was about halfway through the race.  It never really opened up.  It was incredible.  
Even this little dog was having a good time.
According to my Nike+ we actually ran a 6.67km and it took us 53:33.  Definitely not a race for time, but wow, what an experience.
And for their first race, these guys did awesome!
What a fun day!  We're totally pooped but we were laughin and havin a good time all morning!
I'm loving being in this new city and experiencing all kinds of firsts!  I've never run with so many people and I've got my fingers crossed I'll be a part of the Guinness Book of World Records this year.  

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment