Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dear Fellow Learner,

I am a student again on so many levels.  On the one hand, I feel like I'm relearning everything.  There are some days when it's all so exciting and new, and other days where the little things can feel so overwhelming.  But I am a student literally as well.  One of the many things we're involved with here in Manila is Baptist Bible College Asia.  I've decided the best way to learn what's going on with the college and how the students are taught is to take a class myself.  So I am taking Survey of Basic Life 1 with Mrs. LuAnn Lyons.        
It's been a great class so far and even if it's not necessarily anything new, it's been good to revisit basic principles of Christian living as I find myself in a completely new place.  The biggest part of that is finding my security in God alone:  being assured of who I am in Him as I find my place amongst a whole new people group.  It's also been a great learning experiences to get to hang with this lady and be in a class with her.  LuAnn knows how to run a tight ship and keep her family in line and fully functioning.  I feel so blessed to have someone like her for a mentor as I find my way as a wife, and someday a mom, in a foreign land.    
Within this class there are students who have become my teachers as well.  They are eager to help me learn Tagalog.  Amy (Ah-mee) finds me at every break and goes over the alphabet, numbers and small words, coaching me along and encouraging me to keep learning.  
  I know someday we'll be able to converse in Tagalog, but for now I pray for patience:  as I learn my role, this culture and all that God has in store for me.  It's gonna be a great ride.  

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment