Friday, March 8, 2013

Caring for Our Community

It was just over a year ago now, that I visited one of our churches feeding centers for the first time.  Talk about melt your heart.  The kids here in the Philippines are so very precious and just beautiful.  When our Pastor said he wanted to start a feeding center of our own, I immediately volunteered to be a part of it.  
I'm not normally a "kid" person, but these children have won me over.  I'm so excited to get to know each one of them and to be the hands and feet of Jesus to them.

The neighborhood where we will be hosting it, is just a few blocks over from our church.  Several of our church members as well as our core leaders live around here.  It also has the narrowest streets ever! Thank goodness Jordan has no fear in driving.  Can you believe we passed an SUV on this road!?  I was terrified.  It's a blessing we drive the tiniest car. 


Our first day was just spent meeting all of the moms and their children -- getting their names, arm measurement, weight and of course pictures of each one.


They are all just darling!
 I loved this little ones smile!
It was a little chaotic, and a few more came than we anticipated, but I couldn't bare to turn any of them away.  I know we will have to put a cap on it, as we only have so many volunteers, space, etc.  But I just wish we could have taken in the whole neighborhood!
It's definitely a different world from anything I've ever known.  And it's all an adventure.  I think this is going to be one of my favorite things to be a part of.  We are hoping to start Kidz Jam (our team's Vacation Bible School on Wheels) in this location with these kids soon, as well as form several small groups for Bible Study with the mothers.
Will you start praying for the 24 kids and 18 mothers we will be serving.  That we don't just meet physical needs, but help to fill their spiritual hunger as well.  That our church will have an impact in this community and this will be a jumping off point to grow our church!
A few of our awesome volunteers.  (Pastor Isaac, Erwin, Myself, Tita Eunice who has volunteered to do all of the cooking, Mikee, Carol, and Fheii) The people in our church are always willing to do what they can to serve!  I'm excited for what's to come through this ministry!


No comments:

Post a Comment