Friday, February 17, 2012

I was Made for This

February brought in a whirlwind of excitement and busyness.  My days have been quite full, but it's all been good.  There's so much to tell, but lets start with some art!  A couple weeks back I started some art workshops for follow up of kids who attended our camps that we hold.  It's been a learning process, but I'm having fun figuring it out.
I have a partner named Ann, who has been a great help!  With still trying to learn the language, it's nice having her around to make sure we all know what's going on. 
Making art and teaching art are two totally different things.  I've had to think back to all of my days of schooling to figure out where to start and where to go.  One thing that we always did though, was still life drawing, so I figured that would be a great place to start and figure out just what these kids are capable of. 
I got some supplies for the students, which has been hard to come by...man I could really use a Hobby Lobby.  I miss that place so much!  I definitely took my almost weekly visits there for granted.
 And I brought in some random objects to set up for them to draw.
The kids mostly sat in silence concentrating on the task at hand, but answered me when I asked random questions.  I remembered back to those days trying to complete the task assigned before the bell rang.  I loved my art classes, from high school to college.  And I always had the best teachers and professors.  They all impacted my life greatly.  They made me want to use art to impact others.  
I felt really great being there.  Doing this thing.  And I'm excited for what the next weeks and months will bring.  I'm so glad to be using my talents in a way that I hope will make a lasting impact on these kids I find myself with week after week.
 They all smiled so much and thanked me when they left, hardly wanting to leave.  I think we're beginning to get somewhere.  


1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures and your comments. This is a long-term investment, and I'm so glad you and Jordan are there taking the time to make that kind of investment. It will result in dividends both now and eternity.

    ReplyDelete